Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me: a memoir … of sorts by ‘Ian Morgan Cron’


“Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me: a memoir … of sorts” by ‘Ian Morgan Cron’   is a compulsive read creating the impact of edge-of-the-seat thriller in the minds of the readers. Ian Morgan Cron touches our minds and hearts through the intense description of his story. He displays a great sense of humor while narrating his distressed and gloomy childhood to us. His writing is bombastic and lofty in style. In this book, he goes back and forth to describe is life incidents.

Ian’s story is a story from riches to rags; a story form addiction to sobriety; a story from despair to hope. His alcoholic dad, his ever radiant mom, his wife Anne, a caring Nanny, a cheerful radio host, a carpenter evangelist and psychologist Dan -- all form part of this memoir. This biography deals more with his childhood and collegiate years than his post marital years.

Some beautiful truths which I found in this book :
“Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to.” (pp 3)
“For me, life is like one long job interview in which I’m trying to impress everyone I meet enough to hire me.” (pp 27)
“A boy needs a father to show him how to be in the world.” (pp 46)
“Kids don’t know their parents are human. They think they’re gods.” (pp 62)
“Life is easier when you refuse to know what you know.” (pp183)
“Our parents are mysteries to us. No matter how close we think we are to them, we cannot know the content of their hearts.” (pp 214)

It’s a highly recommended read. I would give this one four out of five stars.

Ian Morgan Cron is an Episcopal priest, speaker, and acclaimed author. He is currently the curator of the Conversations on Courage and Faith Series at Christ Episcopal Church in Greenwich, Connecticut, and a doctoral student at Fordham University, where he is studying Christian spirituality. He is an engaging and poignant speaker who inspires listeners at churches, universities, retreats, seminars, and conferences around the world.

Please note that I received this book from Book Sneeze in exchange for an honest review. Also be informed that the opinions I have expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment